Poems, Imitations & Translations

Wednesday

My Uncle Tommy



Chatswood, Sydney (1942)

My Uncle Tommy


“In the end they had to put him
in a home

Tommy had grown too heavy
for Dad to carry

Dad worried about it
till he went to visit

tried to hug him
Tommy didn’t know him

was not aware
of where they were

it was my mother
I was sorry for

she thought she was to blame
for having him

my brother shared a room
with him

all night he’d rock
inside his cot

one winter he got sick
and never spoke

again
no-one

could visit us
because

of Tommy”



(15-23/4/18)

  [Paula Green: "Monday Poem." NZ Poetry Shelf: a poetry page with reviews, interviews and other things (7/5/18). Available at: https://nzpoetryshelf.com/2018/05/07/monday-poem-jack-rosss-my-uncle-tommy]


Chatswood District Community Hospital



No comments: